Sunday, January 21, 2018

St. Vincent de Paul Society, 2018 Raffle Quilt





Our Superbowl Sunday Bake Sale is just around the corner. And this is the second year I have donated a quilt to raffle off. Advertising in church has this listed listing as the "Annual" quilt raffle. Guess that means there will be lots more donation quilts in my future.

The St. Vincent de Paul society is a small group of lay people who respond to those in need of assistance within the community. The members are kind hearted and ready to help when a call comes in. It really was my pleasure to help, knowing that 100 % of the money raised will go to help pay a family's rent, or help to make arrangements for an overdue bill with the electric company, or to pay for 100 gallons of oil, or to help buy food.

This pattern is from "Sunday Morning Quilts", designed by Amanda Jean Nyberg. I just love the patterns in her book. I have a feeling this will be one of many that I will complete from her book. The blocks were sewn as leaders and enders over more than a year.


But as soon as I had finished all the blocks it was fun playing with the placement on the design wall. And no matter how hard I tried, I am sure that you may find two triangles of the same fabric very close if not next to each other. My helper, Tigger, didn't seem to mind!



The pattern has the blocks sewn on the diagonal with setting triangles. I did not notice this at first so I did not reserve blocks of background fabric to use for this end. So, the blocks were sewn into 16 patch blocks and then stitched into rows. The black border was chosen to frame the center. The quilt was smaller than I wanted so to make it larger, the scrappy boarder was created. The fabric for the boarder was mostly pieced and left over from another completed quilt top.


The quilting was simply a grid pattern - not quite stitch in the ditch and not quite a quarter inch from the seam. White was used for quilting the center and matching threads were used through out the boarder.



The backing was taken off a quilt sandwich which was not yet basted and turned out to be a good choice for this quilt backing. It's a lovely shade of blue which is not too girly and not too masculine so it should please anyone who is lucky to win this.


Good news, at 8:30 mass this morning over a hundred tickets were sold. The quilt will hang until Super Bowl Sunday. I am constantly amazed and humbled to see so many people willing to donate for such a worthy cause.


 Hopefully I will also be able to get a better picture of the full quilt.
Size 58 in x 70 in 

That's all for now! Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts - finish-it-up Friday (actually it's Sunday!).



 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I really love every quilt that Amanda Jean has designed, so I bet that book is wonderful. And how wonderful that 100 tickets have already been sold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that your quilt went to a loving home. It turned out beautifully!! I'm not sure if I like the subtle pops of color in the interior of the quilt of the piano key border in all the colors of the rainbow. Who am I kidding?! I love the entire quilt from start to finish and I'm sad that I didn't win it!!!

    ReplyDelete